Thursday Top Tips Roundup
Updated: Jan 5, 2021
If you don't follow us on Instagram, you might have missed out on our Thursday Top Tips series.
Every Thursday over there, we provide our followers with helpful tips related to writing, editing, and business ownership.
Since we've just hit twenty one weeks of tips, we thought it was time for a little roundup blog post. So, without further ado, here are 20 Top Tips for your perusal.
1. Your reader is smart. They can spot empty words from a mile away.
2. When you try to say too much, you end up saying nothing.
3. Know your limits. Perfection = unachievable. Really good writing = achievable.
4. Clichés come down to expression, not subject matter.
5. Read it aloud. What flows inside your head might sound wrong out loud.
6. If you don't believe it, neither will anyone else.
7. There's a time and a place for ten dollar words.
8. The customer definitely isn't always right. But they are always the priority. Talk things through, be open, be calm.
9. What you don't say matters as much as what you do say.
10. If you take on more than you can handle, the quality of your work will suffer.
11. Never underestimate the power of a clean and tidy working environment.
12. Copywriting is not about you. When you're writing for a brand, maintain focus. Follow any and all provided guidelines. Don't get precious.
13. Clear communication costs nothing.
14. Learning is a lifelong pursuit.
15. Self-belief is integral. Be the first to back your brand.
16. Write well. Edit better.
17. Meet your deadlines by planning ahead. Planning your work now reduces the likelihood of grinding to a halt later.
18. If you intend to work successfully from home, especially in the long term, setting clear boundaries is imperative.
19. Try to leave at least a little break between writing and editing. Distance makes it easier to spot mistakes.
20. Great things take time and commitment. Don't expect results overnight.
For further discussion and explanation surrounding all of these tips, please feel free to peruse syntacticalcopy on Instagram.
Here's to the next twenty weeks of tips!